Lemony Dill Rice
A typically Greek-style rice pilaf that’s great with any Mediterranean meal. Though not traditional, I love using basmati rice here, but any long grain rice will do. For best results check the suggested water amount for the particular rice you’re using and make any adjustments as needed to the amount of vegetable broth listed below.
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced finely diced
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- A few twists of freshly ground black pepper
1. Drain and rinse rice. In a 2 quart pot with a tight fitting lid, saute the onion and carrot in the olive oil over medium heat until the onion is softened and translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in garlic and fry for 45 seconds, then stir in rice and fry for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in vegetable broth, lemon juice, oregano, and salt. Turn heat up to high and bring to a boil. Stir rice a few times, reduce heat to low and cover tightly. Cook for 22-24 minutes or until all of the water has been absorbed and rice is tender. Turn off heat, add dill and black pepper and use a fork to fluff the rice and completely stir in the dill. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes then serve!